Monday, January 9, 2017

What to Cut in 2017


Whole 30. Mediterranean. Paleo. South Beach. Atkins. There are more than enough diets out there to totally and completely confuse you, and they all seem to be competing for center stage-- especially during these first couple weeks of the new year. So which is the best? Some diets suggest cutting out whole food groups such as dairy and grain, while others emphasize cutting out processed sugars and some diets even come with a long list of "no-no's". Now, I have to admit, I myself have fallen into the intriguing promises that accompany fad diets, but this year I'm trying a new approach: macros. I find that I need some sort of quantitative direction to stay on track, numbers that help me define what I should be eating. I used to do this by counting calories, and I became obsessed with how many little calories were in every little piece of celery I ate. I felt guilty if I ever ate anything bigger than my perfectly packaged 100 calorie snacks. Every diet tells you "no this, no that", but a diet should be attainable and sustainable, and let's be real, any diet that forbids my cookies and creme ice cream is not going to last very long. 

Counting my macros allows me to set boundaries, yet find flexibility in what I can eat. Macros, short for macronutrients, consists of protein, fat and carbohydrates. These macronutrients are what make up the caloric value of food, and all three work together to make our bodies function. By finding the right balance of these three nutrients in your diet, your body can function properly because it is being fueled properly. That means I can still eat my ice cream and not feel guilty about it!


As long as you're pairing your food choices with the right amount of other nutrients needed to fuel your body, there is no reason to say bye-bye to your favorite foods. Moderation and balance is the key. So if you're tired of starting and quickly ending these fad diets, if you're tired of feeling guilt even just thinking about pizza, if you're tired of never achieving those new year's resolutions, try something different. No need to cut out any particular foods, this year's all about cutting out the guilt and disappointment that's been plaguing your relationship with food. It's time to heal your relationship with food, and find an even better version of you!

If you would like more information on how to start tracking your macros, visit: http://www.idealfit.com/blog/counting-macros/    

No comments:

Post a Comment